(Day 21) Nairobi to Marsabit – 20 April 2011

Distance for the day    – 560 km              Odometer – 7 715 km
Hours on the Bike        – 08:43
Donations up to date for Adelaide Hospital – R 77 327.00

Last night we were told by a local that if we want to get out of Nairobi we need to do so before rush hour, which apparently starts from 06:00 till 23:00. This is one crazy city with way too many people and cars for its infrastructure. So we were up at 04:00 and set off at 05:00.

Leaving Nairobi, early morning.

Last night Richard got the quiet, worried look in his eyes, when he realised that his bike would not start – battery! Norman and Rufus had to give a hand and were pushing Richard on his bike through the busy streets of Nairobi. The same applied this morning. It all came down to low battery water and the only person to blame was the mechanic that did the service on the bike the day before – alias “Panic Mechanic Bennett himself”. The traffic proved to be a lot less, but it was still a schlep to get to the point where you could just twist the ear of the old thumpers and start to tick the km’s off.

The ride took us through some highly productive farming land with well-developed farms doing wheat, maize and barley. We also passed a number of big enterprises that do flowers and vegetables, all under plastic tunnels. The road took us all around the foot of the gigantic Mt. Kenya. We only once saw a glimpse of the summit, due to low clouds.

The beautiful Mt. Kenya in background.

After about 150 km’s we reached the Equator near the town of Nanyuki. We stopped and did the usual “look where we are!” photo’s and then set our sites for Archer’s Post – our night stop.

Standing on the equator in Kenya.

The road was good and we progressed well, which meant that we could push on further to try and catch up on the day we were behind.

Scattered cloud that might build up to a thunder storm.

Vast open space.

Landscape with unique mountains in background.

Dry African Countryside.

Leaving the tar for the dreaded gravel road to Marsabit.

We then pushed on to reach Marsabit just before sunset with a total of 560 km for the day that took us nearly nine hours to do. The last 120 km’s was again a gruelling gravel road that took its toll on Rufus’s bike. His bike’s radiator sprung a leak and started overheating.

Some areas have finer sandy surfaces.

Loose rocks that does not give good traction.

Beautiful desert-like landscape.

Luckily no rains so far.

Very dry countryside that forms part of the road to Marsabit.

Lots of trucks that kick up a lot of loose stones and dust.

Tracks ridden out on road makes it challenging with a heavy bike.

Roads that will break any vehicle.

Marsabit was not much bigger than the spec on the map and we booked in at the only accommodation available, the Jey-Jey Hotel. This in itself was an experience to write home about – what a contrast to what we experienced at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge. They had no electricity and therefore water was also a problem. A back-up generator assisted for a few hours for lights and we all had a very nice bucket wash. The team got to work before bed in stripping Rufus’s bike to fix the radiator. It was a long and tiring day but we were happy because we were on schedule.

Court yard of Jey-Jey Hotel in Marsabit.

The old famous long drop.

Bucket wash.


One response

  1. montyme

    So good to hear from you again. Scenery continues to be superlative, however the same cannot be said for the roads. Glad all going well, keep your water levels up. Hugs and kisses.

    April 24, 2011 at 08:39

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s